"Every great beach deserves a great hotel."
This was said by Laurance S. Rockefeller, who founded The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel in 1965. He knew the great beach at Kauna'oa also deserved spectacular golf and exceptional dining to accompany the most exclusive and expensive resort of its day. Four decades later, following a $150 million repair and renovation, The Mauna Kea once again stands as a landmark of luxury on the Big Island's golden Kohala Coast.
In the restaurants, exciting new sights, sounds, scents and sensational tastes elevate the experience of dining in our luxury Big Island, Hawaii hotel. The legendary Mauna Kea Golf Course, updated to current USGA standards of play, where Rees Jones sets a new benchmark for Big Island golf. Gracious hotel guestrooms, artfully enhanced by John Hara Associates Inc. and Barry Design Associates showcase Mr. Rockefeller's signature "understated elegance" in a graceful fusion of modern features and fabulous style.
With a timeless tradition of aloha, The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel welcomes generations of guests to come and be inspired by the past, embraced by the moment, enchanted by the warm days and exciting possibilities ahead.
Our Big Island luxury resort features:
- 252 luxury guestrooms and suites, some enhanced with serene golf or ocean-view baths
- Natural white sand Kauna‘oa Beach, one of Hawaii's best ranked beaches by top travel authorities
- Enhanced beach and pool services, new padded chaise lounges, beach umbrellas, cabanas, thick orange beach towels, new beach activities and equipment
- Newly renovated 18-hole championship Mauna Kea Golf Course
- New golf clubhouse and restaurant "Number 3" created by John Hara Associates and Pro Shop by Procraft Heritage Creations
- Manta & Pavilion Wine Bar, with dramatic exhibition kitchen and extensive wine program, including the innovative Enomatic wine experience
- Twice weekly Luau, traditional Sunday Brunch and Clambake on the beach
- Hau Tree Beachside at Kauna‘oa for casual lunch, snacks, sweets and cocktails
- Kauna'oa Bar & Grill for sunset cocktails, Hawaiian music, sushi, pool, darts and more.
- 11-court Seaside Tennis Club
- New 2,500 square-foot fitness center with 43 Life Fitness exercise machines
- The Mauna Kea Salon for beautiful hair and nails
- New boutique shopping enclave along the meandering koi ponds
- Hawaiian culture shared through lei-making, hula, crafting classes, music, luau and more
- Indoor and outdoor group function spaces and meeting rooms, as well as picture-perfect wedding sites for a Big Island wedding
- Museum-quality Pacific and Asian art collection, over 1,600 pieces gathered by Mr. Rockefeller and Davis Allen for The Mauna Kea in 1965
- Soul-soothing therapies and beatific body treatments at the transcendent new Mauna Kea Spa by Mandara